12 houses for assisted living + 1 ADL center / 7 houses for senior citizens / 7 dual living houses / 2 low-energy houses
The passive house architects Demeestere + Garmyn & Partners were assigned the task to realize a social housing project on an unused part in the district Riedekens. The emphasis lies on the integration of housing for seniors and an Activities of Daily Living cluster (ADL) for people with a physical disability. Passive housing was a possibility for these sustainable and ecological houses but because of budgetary reasons it became low-energy housing. The size of the district and the spatial capacity of the environment were taken into account for the implementation of these new homes.
DIFFERENTIATION IN HOUSING TYPES
Through differentiation in typology these houses attracted an audience with a wide range of social and demographic backgrounds. This created a good social mix in line with the rest of the district which is socially and demographically diverse. An architectural unity was accomplished by using coherent colors, materials and design.
We designed 4 different houses based on function and target group:
- an ADL cluster of 12 houses for people with a disability + an ADL center as pivot point of the district
- 7 one bedroom houses for seniors
- 7 one bedroom houses for couples or singles
- 2 linked family houses
SUSTAINABILITY AS AN IMPORTANT PILLAR
Sustainability and ecology form important pillars in the design of this project. Instead of passive houses we opted to construct low-energy houses. This was accomplished by:
- using extensive insulation
- minimizing heat loss (compact, air tight buildings with ventilation)
- using sustainable and environmentally friendly materials like FSC-labeled wood and materials labeled with an environmental class from 1 to 3 according to the NIBE-classification
WOULD YOU LIKE SOME MORE INFORMATION?
If you want to know more about this project or want to find an architect to (re)build your own low-energy or passive house, contact us today without engagement for an appointment.